Thursday, January 10, 2013

Detox from Hell

Today is day 10 of The 21 day sugar detox.  Today is also the first day that I have felt really good.  I have done the detox before but this time was different for me.  The past detox, I had the carb-flu which feels like the real flu.  I was in bed for a few days because I could not function.  I didn't think I had been eating that much sugar this time so, I thought this detox would be mild.  I was wrong. 



The first few days were fine.  I worked out, slept good, had no cravings.  Day 5 came and I had a mild headache, felt blah and was very grumpy.  I knew this was part of the detox so I added more bone broth and tried to sleep it off.  Day 6 was more of the same and I thought the worst was over.  I was wrong again.

Day 7 arrives and with it a dark cloud of depression.  Now, I am normally a very happy, positive person.  I never cuss and I try not to be rude to anyone.  But, this day, I felt sad, angry, emotional and irritated all at once.  I decided to keep my mouth shut that day because NO good thoughts were running through my head. 

 Next up, day 8, probably the worst day so far.  The depression was worse and I had no energy.  Every time someone talked to me, in my head, I said f@#% off.  Wow, where did that come from?  I hate that word.  I never use that word.  But, that is what I wanted to scream to the world.  This was bad, very bad!  That day I went to bed at 8:00 and slept for 12 hours.  I thought I would be better with lots of sleep.  I was wrong.

Day 9 comes and I am still depressed and irritated.  I decide to drive the 15 miles in the pouring rain to my taekwondo class hoping it would make me feel better.  I did class and then I worked on my power cleans going as heavy as possible.  Later that afternoon, I realized I was feeling a little bit better.  I had more energy and was not as depressed.


Day 10 and I wake to the sound of birds singing.  I see the sun shining (we have had rain for about the past two weeks which did not help things at all!) and I realize I am smiling!  The cloud has lifted and I feel happy.  Finally!  
I knew it would happen but boy those last few days were horrible. So, I guess my point of all this is never give up.  I know I have gone through the worst and the rest of my detox should be fine.  I obviously needed to kick sugar more than I thought.  I knew I was eating some and I did not feel good either.  I am positive I am a sugar addict!  It feels so good to be on the other side.  If I can do it, so can you!

7 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel-- I missed 2 days of work last week due to my carb-flu... Absolutely awful... finally feeling better myself and yes day 10 has been the best so far.. If you are struggling hang on I promise the sun will shine again soon.. Good luck and thanks for you blog-- it helps to have someone to share with. Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! So glad you are feeling better. This is day 10 of Whole 30 for me, my husband and 20 year old daughter...my daughter and I have an almost 'joke' about getting a latte. She's struggling, but thankfully this time, I am OK. It gives us something to 'look forward to' when we're done. Last time, we got all the way finished, and didn't even go for at least a couple of weeks! So glad to be on this side of sugar addiction. It's a rough one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! I'm right there with you on day 10 but with a little less sleep (day life savings transition) have struggled. Helpful to have encouraging blogs like yours, my paleo committed daughter who phones every morning with encouragement or drops off non-sweet but yummy cookies (21DSD), and remembering my why. Day 9 I woke with the vision of any cancer cells in my body having one last temper tantrum then dying (dramatically).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing ! I have read several other blogs/ comments about the 21dsd saying that the first 3-5 days would probably be the worst. I actually didn't have too many problems till after day 5! Cranky, irritable, sleepy, etc set in about day 6... I am on day 11 now and I finally feel like things are looking up:) so thanks for the encouragment and helping me feel like I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thank you all so much for letting me know what is happening to me!
    I am even more committed to kicking my sugar addiction now!
    Thank you !
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete