Monday, April 8, 2013

Kombucha Jello

Kombucha Jello with Whipped Coconut Milk

The bottom shelf of my pantry!


I love Kombucha and have been drinking it for a while now.  Kombucha is a fermented tea with many great properties including probiotics.  The cost for a kombucha tea at the store is not cheap, usually around $3-$4 a bottle.  So, I decided to try brewing my own.  Well, it has really taken off and now I have kombucha coming out of my ears.  I was trying to think of other things to do with kombucha and decided to try and make jello.   I have had a can of Great Lakes Gelatin (the orange can) in my pantry for a while now and I wanted to see if kombucha would work for jello.  It turned out great and now I make it on a regular basis.





Here is what I did:
2 cups kombucha
2-3 Tablespoons of Great Lakes Gelatin
1 can of coconut milk-place in the fridge overnight or in the freezer for a few hours


Put one cup of kombucha and the gelatin in a saucepan and stir over low heat.  
When it gets warm but not hot, remove from heat and add the other cup of kombucha.
Mix together and pour into a pie dish.  
Refrigerate until set.
I cut mine into squares using a knife and then scoop it out with a spoon.






I also wanted to make some whipped topping and decided to give coconut milk a try.  
I put the can in the freezer for a few hours (you can also put the can in the fridge overnight), scooped out the solid coconut on top and saved the liquid in the bottom for another day. 
 I used a very cold bowl and whipped it up with a hand mixer. 

This is also 21 Day Sugar Detox friendly!  Find me on facebook at Butterflies, Peace, Paleo

5 comments:

  1. This looks good--I have begun to brew Kombucha and enjoy the process--I feel like I have "kids" in my cupboard I have to take care of.

    Enjoy your journey--I have been on the real foods/paleo for 1 1/2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your posts on Facebook. I wish you would blog more often:) I make jello out of so many things too. Lately I've been mixing my gelatin with orange essential oils and then putting it in a candy mold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! One of my goals is to blog once a week. Sometimes I feel like I don't really know what I am doing.
      Your gelatin stuff sounds good!

      Delete
  3. I don't understand how to get it started I don't know how to get a starter, thanks for the info

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there!
    Wondering about heating the kombucha--doesn't that kill the probiotics? Beth Patterson, Denver, CO

    ReplyDelete