Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Is Thinning Hair Normal When We Get Older?

For as long as I can remember, my hair has been very thick with lots of body.  Both my parents have thick hair and I was blessed to have nice hair too.  

Fast forward into my 40's, I noticed that my ponytail holder was smaller when I put my hair up.  I also noticed that when I wore my hair down, I would have a lot of stray hairs on my shirt at the end of the day.  I really didn't think much about it at the time.

One day, when I was getting a hair cut,  my stylist recommended a different shampoo...one for THINNING hair!  What?  I was offended!  Yes, I did notice more hair loss but thin hair?  I was devastated.  As soon as I got home, I started researching thinning hair.  The only thing I could find was that when a women gets older, her hair thins.  It was just another bad thing that happens when you get older.  

Not long after that I discovered the Paleo lifestyle.  I wasn't really thinking about my thinning hair when I started eating real food.  I was just focused on losing weight.  Fast forward one year and I noticed something.  My hair seemed thicker when I put it up in a ponytail.  I did not have all the loose hairs on my shirt anymore.  So, I started paying attention and did notice that my hair was thicker than before.

What caused my hair to stop falling out?  I am not sure.  It could be lots of things or maybe everything combined.

A real nutrient dense diet with lots of veggies, fats and grass-fed meats.  I also drink homemade bone broth almost daily.  I started taking Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil/butter oil blend too (I use cinnamon tingle gel.)


So, will this work for everyone?  I don't know.  

What I do know now is just because people say things get worse as you age doesn't mean you can't change the outcome.

Stayed tuned for my next blog where I talk about giving up chemical hair dyes in exchange for Henna!

1 comment:

  1. Unbalanced diet, stress, and extreme hairstyling and pollution are mostly the main reasons for hair thinning and falling. If you think it’s about your diet, you should go for more protein and vitamin D to help your hair. You could also try massaging your scalp with ginger juice or oil to stimulate your hair follicles. Dr. Sara @ BajaHairCenter

    ReplyDelete