Thursday, September 13, 2012

Doing Too Much


Back in 2008 I decided to do the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.  This is a two-day, 39.3 mile walk where each walker raises $1800.  A good friend had recently been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer and I wanted to do something in her honor.   I trained for it and had a great time.  Not long after, a friend told me if I could walk 26.2 miles in one day, I could run a 1/2 marathon.  It seemed like a daunting task since I was not a runner but the race was in Las Vegas so I decided to give it a go.  I started my training and ran a few short races before the big day.  The big day came and I had a blast!  No, I did not run the whole thing but I felt good for finishing.  Through my training my weight stayed the same, no loss no gain.  In the next two years, I ran 4 1/2 marathons, did the Avon Walk every year and still trained in Taekwondo.  What happened the next two years was... I gained 20 pounds.  It crept on slow and steady.  I could not figure out why.  When I look back, I realize that for two years, I was always training for something.  No rest for my body.  I finally got sidelined with plantar fasciitis and took 4 months off from running.  During those 4 months I felt better each month and the weight started to come off.  During this is when I found Paleo and that really helped me learn that my body needs rest.  I was pushing to hard for me.  Now, I have friends who are runners and they are in great shape but I have decided to hang up my hat on the long distance running. It was just too much for my body. I do have several 5k's planned for the fall (Dirty Girl Mud Run- http://www.godirtygirl.com/ and Color Me Rad) which should be a lot of fun.  I still train in Taekwondo and do Crossfit one day a week.  I usually do take off 2 days each week so my body can recover.  I feel rest and recovery do my body good!

No comments:

Post a Comment